Re: Running octave-code from Java

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Running octave-code from Java
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 10:21:35 -0700

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 14:37:18 +0200, Hanna Svensson wrote:
> Hi Community!
>
> I have developed a signal processing algoritm in Octave. And a GUI in Java.
> I would like to call the octave algoritm from Java (instead of converting
> it to Java, the original plan).

You could also call the Java GUI from an Octave function or script (from
within Octave).

> I have understood that I can use for example javaOctave for this. But I
> still need Octave installed on the computer. Is there any way I can to it
> without have to install Octave on the client computer?

No, there is no way that I know of to interpret and execute an Octave
function without the Octave interpreter.

> If I for example can compile the octave code to some standalone program to
> be called from Java. My problem is that the program should be runned on a
> computer in the hospital and all regulations on installing programs there
> is a real hassle.

If it were possible to compile an Octave function or script into a
standalone program, it would still contain the entire Octave interpreter
embedded within it, so I don't see how that is practically different
from installing Octave.

(The hospital should be more concerned with Java being installed, but
that's their choice.)

If installing Octave is absolutely impossible, then you will need to
rewrite the algorithm into Java or some other language that is allowed
by your system constraints.

--
mike