Re: Close GUI But (Temporarily) Persist Plot Windows?

From: Pantxo
Subject: Re: Close GUI But (Temporarily) Persist Plot Windows?
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 05:26:51 -0700 (PDT)

sathomasga wrote
> Apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn’t find anything in
> the archives and the closest stack overflow question
> (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38412514/how-to-exit-gnu-octave-after-running-an-m-file-without-closing-plot-windows
> <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38412514/how-to-exit-gnu-octave-after-running-an-m-file-without-closing-plot-windows>)
> isn’t quite the same scenario.
>
> On the latest OS X, I’d like to be able to run a script that terminates
> (closing the main window) but leaves any plot windows open until I
> manually close them. (The use case is being able to employ my favorite
> code editor). Anyone know of a clever hack that can accomplish that?
>
> FWIW, the closest I’ve come so far is adding a pause command at the end of
> the script. That, at least, leaves the plot windows open. However, the
> plot windows can’t be closed by the normal OS X. ("Quit octave-gui" has no
> effect) and I have to resort to Force Quit.
>
> TIA,
>
> Stephen

Hi,

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve.
* If you want to use your favorite editor and retain the ability to use the
GUI (except the editor) and the figure windows, then just set this up in the
"Editor" tab of the preference dialog (Edit->Preferences menu).
* If you don't the the GUI at all then start octave in cli mode (either pass
option "-cli" for pure cli without Qt toolkit or "--no-gui" for enabling
only Qt figures) and use the "EDITOR" function to setup the editor that will
be called when you use the "edit" function.

Pantxo