Re: Does Octave 4 GUI work on Windows 10?

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Does Octave 4 GUI work on Windows 10?
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2016 08:23:00 +0900 (JST)

>From: Tao (Tony) Tong <address@hidden>
>To: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
>Cc: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
>Date: 2016/8/21, Sun 07:26
>Subject: Re: Does Octave 4 GUI work on Windows 10?
>On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 3:05 PM, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>--- ttmofy wrote:
>>> I am a new user of Octave.  I installed Octave 4.03 about a week ago on my
>>> Windows 10.  It was working all okay.  Then at some point, it shut itself
>>> down.  When I tried to restart the program, it started showing the exact
>>> error message you described "octave-gui.exe has stopped working. A problem
>>> caused the program to work correctly. Windows will close the program and
>>> notify you if a solution is available."  I tried uninstalling/reinstalling,
>>> and the Compatibility setting you described, but none have worked so far.
>>> Any further clue on why this is the case?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>> Tony
>>>

>>To narrow your problem, I ask you whether cli mode octave works or not.
>>
>>Tatsuro

>Hi Tatsuro,
>

>No, the cli mode doesn't work either.  It flashes open, then closes
>immediately.  The first time, it paused before it quit.  The error message was
>similar, 'a problem caused the program to work (in)correctly..."  The Windows
>10 did pop out a dialog window saying the application may have compatibility
>problem and asked me whether I would like to in a different mode.  I chose
>'Windows 7", but it still doesn't work.

Thank you for the response.
Seem to be a graphics hardware issue that has not been solved yet.
(Depends on the graphics hardware and driver on the PC.)

Please try one more thing.

By windows explorer, go to the folder C:\octave\Octave-4.0.3\bin.
(please modify the folder path if you did not-default install)

Launch octave by doubly click, octave-cli(.exe) then see the results.

This skips to launch octave-gui and I would like see whether this is an issue
of octave-gui or not.

BTW, what kind of graphics hard ware and driver do you use?
To see information,
(My PC works on Japanese, so that name menu item may not be correct)
1. Right click on the desktop
2. On the menu, select display setting
3. on the windows 10's setting menu for display, select detailed setting for
display.
4. select view property of adapter.

You can see the detail of Graphics adapter

For my case

Information of adapter
kind of tip : Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
kind of DAC : Internal
characters of adapter : Intel(R) HD Graphics 2000
Information of BIOS Intel Video BIOS

Tatsuro