Re: Plot function not working

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Plot function not working
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 15:14:35 -0400

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 13:07:07 -0400, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 12:49 PM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 12:36:46 -0400, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> > > On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 11:52 AM, Mike Miller <address@hidden>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > second or third time that has popped up very recently. How much overhead
> > > would a 'potentially unintended shadowing' warning consume?
> >
> > Already exists:
> >
> >   warning: function ./length.m shadows a built-in function
> >
> > It appears every time the function is added to the load path (e.g. when
> > Octave starts, when changing directories, calling addpath, or pkg load).
> >

> sorry should have been more specific... my guess is a variable named length
> was created. This happened to me the other day when I typo'd a call to cell
> and it created a variable named cell, and I thought every subsequent call
> to cell was broken.

Yes I think so. Would you like to see a shadow warning every time a loop
variable is named "i" or "j"?

Personally, yes :)  but then i and j indexing is just a pet peeve of mine. but then I also get annoyed at having to write exp(1i*x)

If you recall the other day I was trying to create an empty cell

>> cell (3,0,2)

which should work fine.  the error message I got was:

   error: subscript indices must be either positive integers less than 2^31 or logicals

At least to me, it wasn't obvious that this was trying to index a variable a typo accidentally named cell. I thought cell() was unable to create an empty array.