Re: Plot function not working

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Plot function not working
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 13:07:07 -0400

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 12:49 PM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 12:36:46 -0400, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 11:52 AM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> second or third time that has popped up very recently. How much overhead
> would a 'potentially unintended shadowing' warning consume?

Already exists:

  warning: function ./length.m shadows a built-in function

It appears every time the function is added to the load path (e.g. when
Octave starts, when changing directories, calling addpath, or pkg load).

sorry should have been more specific... my guess is a variable named length was created. This happened to me the other day when I typo'd a call to cell and it created a variable named cell, and I thought every subsequent call to cell was broken.

how much overhead would it impose by having it check variable names for shadowing? Or is that too much attempted handholding.