Re: JIT compiling

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: JIT compiling
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2016 16:20:48 -0400

Hi, Sergei. Haven't spoken in a while.

On Sun, 2016-08-14 at 08:07 +0000, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

> When Julia language was first discussed here, I suggested to write
> an Octave -> Julia translator, but I think it will NEVER be done for
> ideological (fanatic support of false/fake GPL freedom) reasons.

The complete Julia package is GPL'ed because Julia uses popular GPL
libraries such as FFTW, Suitesparse, and readline. We're on good terms
with the Julia developers and they do not have a problem with the GPL.

The reason the Octave -> Julia translator hasn't happened is because
it's not a problem that's significantly different than compiling
Octave into any other language that has a type declarations.

- Jordi G. H.