Problem installing the io and statistics packages on Octave 4.0.3 in Deb

From: Nicanor García
Subject: Problem installing the io and statistics packages on Octave 4.0.3 in Debian Jessie
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 12:42:31 -0500

Hello,

I installed Octave 4.03 from the Jessie Backports repository with no problems, but now I'm having problems adding the statistics package.

I tried with the Debian package manager, but it fails to tell that I have Octave 4.0.3 installed:

octave-io : Depends: octave (>= 3.8.2) but it is not going to be installed
octave-statistics : Depends: octave (>= 3.6.4) but it is not going to be installed

I also tried installing the packages manually from Octave using the pkg command and the .tar.gz downloaded from the forge, but I get this error when trying to install the io package:

pkg install io-2.4.2.tar.gz
sh: 1: make: not found

pkg: error running `make' for the io package.
error: called from 'configure_make' in file /usr/share/octave/4.0.3/m/pkg/private/configure_make.m near line 96, column 9

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Nicanor García O.