Re: Documentation for the symbolic toolbox ?

From: Colin Macdonald
Subject: Re: Documentation for the symbolic toolbox ?
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2016 00:16:17 -0700

On 04/08/16 23:19, roland65 wrote:
I tried yesterday the symbolic toolbox (2.4.0) and I was able to run some
examples from the Matlab symbolic toolbox. But the only documentation I
found is this page:  http://octave.sourceforge.net/symbolic/overview.html
Is there anything else?

Unfortunately not. For the most part, each function is documented with examples (e.g., at the page you linked as well as using "help @sym/diff"). But these are not assembled into a manual and there isn't a summary document. Help of course is always appreciated! Something simple like a short "getting started" tutorial would be a very useful contribution.

Is this package fully compatible with Matlab's one?

No. It does aim for similar behaviour. But perfect compatibility is probably almost impossible given that they use two different underlying computer algebra systems---e.g., "simplify" may give different results or the tables of things that can be integrated may differ.

Please do file issues for difference that you find.

Colin