Re: Bug when running Octave 4.02 under emulation on OS X 10.11.5.

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Bug when running Octave 4.02 under emulation on OS X 10.11.5.
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 14:43:41 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----
>From: edmund ronald
>To: Octave Help ; James F
>Date: 2016/7/28, Thu 10:39
>Subject: Bug when running Octave 4.02 under emulation on OS X 10.11.5.
>

>Hi guys, I have a user who is using my Vagrant VM on MacBook Pro with OS X
>10.11.5.  and the plot command is causing his Octave to hang.
>

> My applet downloads 4.02 and runs as it is supposed to, and he gets the
>Octave GUI so the emulator is running well, Octave is up and talking to X on
>the Mac host, and then apparently as soon as he calls plot() ...
>

>Any ideas? Maybe some graphics components were forgotten in the "stable" 4.02
>binary in the Ubuntu repository? I got him to do the obvious but it doesn't
>help:
>

>-------------
>I've installed the latest XQuartz and executed the command in Octave:
>
>setenv("GNUTERM", "X11")
>
>followed by
>
>y=1:5
>
>(and of course Octave displays "1 2 3 4 5" on a new line)
>and then I type
>
>plot(y)
>
>As soon as I press the return key after the closing parenthesis of plot(y),
>the entire Octave window disappears.
>I restarted Octave and typed the instruction setenv("GNUTERM", "qt")
>and the result is the same, the Octave window immediately disappears.

I am not a mac user and have no experience to use VM  so that I cannot really
help you.
However, I will tell you that the below points.

1. You seem to run Ubuntu on VM. What version of Ubuntu do you use? 16.04?
2. You did not write about graphics_toolkit.
 (1) Did you try
     graphics_toolkit qt
      or
     graphics_toolkit fltk?

 (2) If you use gnuplot graphics_toolkit, you probably use gnuplot on Ubuntu.
     What version of gnuplot do you use ?

Tatsuro