Reading double written by java

From: sting
Subject: Reading double written by java
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 13:52:32 -0700 (PDT)

I have some binary data files written by java and I am trying to read them
intoOctave.  I am new to Octave so I only think I know some of the basics.

The file starts with 40 double's so I try to read them with:

fread(fid, 1, "double") and I get a number like: 6.6501e-133 and when the
value is read from a java program the number is 0.9271877560931512.  Is
there something wrong with the format?