Re: averaging/smoothing data

From: Gordon Haverland
Subject: Re: averaging/smoothing data
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 11:34:49 -0600

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 12:58:29 -0400
Przemek Klosowski <address@hidden> wrote:

> Often, I need to smooth/average a data vector.

I have had the good fortune of seeing wide distributions and lots of
outliers over the years.  If there is a significant probability of
picking up data from some other distribution (such as blunders in GPS),
I like to use a double window, median filter.  I use a wider window to
find what data to ignore, and then I find the median within the inner
window.

Another use case associated with GPS, is when the combine harvestor
(farming) has finished cutting grain in the current path, and is
traversing ground that has already been cut and processed, the yield
monitor data is not useful.  This is when processing data as a time
series, and not processing it in conjunction with location.

Gord