Re: Plot command crashes Octave

From: Sebastian
Subject: Re: Plot command crashes Octave
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 09:35:49 +0200

> Am 06.07.2016 um 03:42 schrieb Mike Miller <address@hidden>:
> On Sun, Jul 03, 2016 at 23:40:49 -0700, Sebastian Schöps wrote:
>> Christopher Smith wrote
>>> Hello,
>>> I am running Octave on El Captain for the first time.  I use Matlab
>>> extensively, and was excited to find a GNU platform!  I created two
>>> vectors and tried to plot them using the plot command.  This crashed
>>> Octave.  Is this a common bug?  Is there a simple way to fix it?  I
>>> clicked on the details button and have included the contents below (in
>>> case that would be helpful).  Thanks and have a great day!
>>> -Chris Smith
>>
>> It is a known bug but "sadly" it does not occur on our development machines.
>> However, if you do not care which plot backend is used, then this should fix
>> the problem:
>>
>> graphics_toolkit('gnuplot')
>> figure;
>> x=1:10;
>> plot(x,sin(x));
>>
>> Please let us know if this works.
>
> Sebastian,
>
> We've had a few bug reports in the past week or so about crashes on
> macOS. I handle these as best as I can, but would certainly appreciate
> any help I can get in identifying some of the known issues or common
> problems to make triage easier.
>
> I see there is a short "known issues" section on
> http://wiki.octave.org/Create_a_MacOS_X_App_Bundle_Using_Homebrew. Are
> there any other lists of known issues?
>
> A couple of the bug reports hint at a possible problem with OpenBLAS.
> The following reports had stack traces indicating a crash in the dgemm
> function in OpenBLAS:
>
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?48258
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?48400
>
> This one was resolved by the reporter with some additional installs and
> configuration relating to fontconfig:
>
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?48197
>
> This one was resolved with no explanation by the reporter:
>
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?48284

Dear Mike,

thank you, I will go through the bug reports this week. Is there a possibility
to assign (or "ping") people on savannah? - I really like
gitlab/github/bitbucket because of those functionalities.

If yes, you could ping me in such cases...

Sebastian

P.S.: I still do not know why plotting crashes on some Macs. It works on all
real and virtual machines that I am using.