Re: Installing image-acquisition toolbox in Windows 7

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Installing image-acquisition toolbox in Windows 7
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 05:57:45 -0700 (PDT)

TUEstudent wrote
> Hi guys,
>
> I am a new user of Octave, but quite experienced in Matlab. In Matlab i
> did some image processing which i would like to redo with Octave. After
> successful installation of the image package I ran into some trouble
> during the installation of image-acquisition package.
> http://octave.sourceforge.net/image-acquisition/index.html
> <http://octave.sourceforge.net/image-acquisition/index.html>
>
> I am working on a windows 7 pc and I get this error during installation
> pkg install C:\Users\s106777\Downloads\image-acquisition-0.2.2.tar.gz
>
> configure: error: unable to find the v4l2_open() function
> checking for g++... g++
> checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
> checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.exe
> checking for suffix of executables... .exe
> checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
> checking for mkoctfile... yes
> checking for fltk-config... /usr/bin/fltk-config
> checking for v4l2_open in -lv4l2... no
>
> pkg: error running the configure script for image-acquisition.
> error: called from 'configure_make' in file
> C:\Octave\Octave-4.0.2\share\octave\4.0.2\m\pkg\private\configure_make.m
> near line 79, column 9
>
> similar to discussed here.
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/image-acquisition-0-2-2-released-td4669978.html
> <http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/image-acquisition-0-2-2-released-td4669978.html>
>

> There the following solution is posed.
> '' Installing libv4l-dev fixed this.  ''
>
> I tried to find out how to do this, but came up short. Furthermore, it
> seems like this a Linux related solution? But I'm not certain of that.

The "configure: error: unable to find the v4l2_open() function" smells of a
missing dependency, i.e., v4l (Video for Linux) dev package.

And there you go then: this package probably isn't available on Windows.
Have a search for "mingw v4l", maybe someone has built it. Even if that is
the case, you might need to rebuild the v4l dependencies (library + headers)
using tools matching what Octave was built with. Doesn't look like an easy
job.

These days Octave for Windows is cross-compiled and built on linux using
mxe-octave. To me it looks a lot easier to use that environment for building
the missing dependency. But I'm afraid you are on your own.

Philip