Re: Does Octave 4 GUI work on Windows 10?

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Does Octave 4 GUI work on Windows 10?
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2016 09:45:15 -0400

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 9:33 AM, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
--- jankowskin
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 6:41 AM, PhilipNienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:
> steven0416 wrote
> > I appreciate the replies, folks.  I kept Octave 4.0.0 when I upgrade to
> > Win10.  When the GUI failed to open up, I tried uninstalling it, and then
> > installed Octave 4.0.1 and Octave 4.0.2 anew.  However, the problem
> > persisted, i.e. the usual Windows error diaolog box opened up, saying
> > "octave-gui.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to work
> > correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
> > available."  So it appears there's something wrong in my
> > environment/setup, since there're many success stories on Win10.
>
> You can always try to fiddle with the "compatibility" options in the
> shortcuts to set them to Win7 or even XP.
> But from what I read I suspect you (or rather: Octave) hit hardware-related
> issues.
>
> Philip
>

> I recall there being issues with running under Windows 8, but I thought there was a workaround. I'm still on Win 7 with Octave, so haven't worked through it myself. Anyone familiar with that issue know if it might be similar, with possibly a similar workaround?

Do you mean workaround -i --line-editing for octave 3.6 and 3.8?
For octave 4. the issue is solved and it is not related to the issue on this time, I think.

Tatsuro

Those who have and haven't experienced issues, what version of the Octave installer are you using?  32bit, 64bit, cygwin, MINGW, exe or zip installer? anyone for whom a fresh install did not fix the problem? Just wondering if there is any consistent issue.

Nick J.