Re: How to install Octave 4.0.1 on OS X Yosemite

From: Sebastian Schöps
Subject: Re: How to install Octave 4.0.1 on OS X Yosemite
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 22:46:18 -0700 (PDT)

Mike Miller-4 wrote
> This reads to me like you are both suggesting that this homebrew-based
> binary installer could become an official installer for any OS X user,
> is that right?

Yes. We somehow need to take of the dependencies and it seems a clever
choice to to this via a package manager. There are three possibilities for
the Mac Fink, Macports and homebrew. We chose because a couple of reasons,
mainly because of "social reasons", i.e, the homebrew community is very open
and super responsive.

Mike Miller-4 wrote
> If yes, then can someone please update the primary OS X wiki page to
> make the binary downloader be immediately visible and primary on that
> page? I think visitors to the page
>
>   http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X
>
> should just see something that says "here is the binary" front and
> center in a highlighted box or something. They shouldn't have to read
> about the different packaging tools and click through to a different
> page to get to it. Right now it's just way too hard to find.
>
> This will unquestionably help you get more downloads, and maybe more
> feedback and maybe get us closer to an official binary release.

I wanted to start with a "private" beta phase but mabye it's a good time to
announce the binary on the Octave_for_MacOS_X page.