Re: octave 3.8.1 doesn't run

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: octave 3.8.1 doesn't run
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2016 20:41:15 -0400

On Jun 2, 2016, at 7:12 PM, William Hawkins <address@hidden> wrote:

I thought I had downloaded the latest version of Octave, but it turns out there’s a more recent version: 4.0. I was following basic set of instructions for homebrew and I ended up here.

I have tried everything to get octave to run. I’ve installed all the necessary modules. I’ve installed Homebrew, and tried to follow the
instructions in wiki-octave for mac. I’m running Yosemite OSX 10.11.5 on an iMac. I have gnuplot installed and it works in wxMaxima. I do not know
if I need Aquaterm to run gnuplot so I haven’t tried to install Aquaterm. I wrote the script file to get it running. When I d-click on the octave app, I get

Last login: Thu Jun  2 01:19:32 on ttys001
Williams-Mac-Pro:~ williamhawkins$ /usr/local/bin/octave; exit
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/freetype/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
  Referenced from: /usr/local/Cellar/octave/4.0.2_3/libexec/octave/4.0.2/exec/x86_64-apple-darwin15.5.0/octave-gui
  Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
octave exited with signal 5
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]

I think I have found the but, but I don’t know how to fix it.

The folder /udr/local/opt/freetype does not exist in my build. How do I correct it? I tried installing freetype but that didn’t seem to work:

Williams-Mac-Pro:~ williamhawkins$ brew unlink freetype
Unlinking /usr/local/Cellar/freetype/2.6.3... 0 symlinks removed
Williams-Mac-Pro:~ williamhawkins$ brew install freetype
Warning: freetype-2.6.3 already installed, it's just not linked
Williams-Mac-Pro:~ williamhawkins$ brew link freetype
Linking /usr/local/Cellar/freetype/2.6.3...
Error: Could not symlink include/freetype2/freetype/config/ftconfig.h
Target /usr/local/include/freetype2/freetype/config/ftconfig.h
already exists. You may want to remove it:
  rm '/usr/local/include/freetype2/freetype/config/ftconfig.h'

To force the link and overwrite all conflicting files:
  brew link --overwrite freetype

To list all files that would be deleted:
  brew link --overwrite --dry-run freetype
Williams-Mac-Pro:~ williamhawkins$ rm '/usr/local/include/freetype2/freetype/config/ftconfig.h'
override rw-r--r--  root/wheel for /usr/local/include/freetype2/freetype/config/ftconfig.h? y
rm: /usr/local/include/freetype2/freetype/config/ftconfig.h: Permission denied

this doesn’t work because I am not logged on as root. I tried to set up access to root under system preferences but the procedure I found on the internet is not compatible with my version of OSX El Capitan.

Operating System: OSX El Capitan 10.11.5
iMac 3.5GHz Intel core i5

can you please help me? I am totally confused at this point. Nothing on the internet is as it seems. I can’t set up myself (administrator) as root.

Thanks,
Will Hawkins

If you’ve installed Homebrew for the sole purpose of running Octave, I suggest you uninstall and try the app bundle available at the link below.

http://wiki.octave.org/Create_a_MacOS_X_App_Bundle_Using_Homebrew

If you want to keep your installation of Homebrew, let us know and we can provide detailed instructions on how to install a fully functional Octave.

Ben