Re: plot hangs in octave on mac os x 10.11.3

From: Sebastian Schöps
Subject: Re: plot hangs in octave on mac os x 10.11.3
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 10:07:35 -0700 (PDT)

Massimo Sorbara wrote
> The octave gui comes up fine. I can run basic mathematics commands.  The
> problem is in plotting.
> Whenever I go to execute a plot(…) command, the system hangs and the mac
> pinwheel perpetually spins.
> I need to do a force quit on the octave gui to get it to stop; nothing
> else closes the program.

I experienced similar behavior on some machines. It might be that plotting
takes incredibly long for the very first time because some font cache (?) is
created in the background. Please create a plot and then go and get a nice
coffee or tea somewhere. Come back to your computer after a few minutes and
the problem might be gone forever :)

Massimo Sorbara wrote
> I also tried the following and shown is the error message:
> - brew install fltk
> - fltk: This formula either does not compile or function as expected on OS
> X versions newer than Yosemite due to an upstream incompatibility.

Install FLTK by "brew install fltk --devel" and then uninstall octave "brew
uninstall octave" and reinstall it with "brew install octave --with-fltk".
This will surely take longer than one coffee...

Sebastian