Re: printing greek characters

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: printing greek characters
Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 15:31:23 -0500

On Sun, May 29, 2016 at 3:15 PM, Clinton Winant <address@hidden> wrote:
Dmitri:  I tried a simple version of what you sent:

>>  plot(t,l)
Unknown or ambiguous terminal name 'qt'

​The idea here is to use cairo-based terminals for both screens and hardcopy
outputs to get a more consistent image. Cairo library:
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo_(graphics) )

For screens it would be either "qt" or "wxt" terminals. For file outputs it would be
"pdfcairo", "pngcairo", "epscairo". Octave "officially" does not support "epscairo"
but it is fairly simple to add if one really wants it.   ​

​Your gnuplot does not have "qt" terminal. Perhaps you need to install the package
called gnuplot-qt or something. Or you can us "wxt". In any case you can use any
terminal ("x11" or "win") here -- it is just the screen image will be less WYSIWYG.​

>>  axis([0,1,200,2400]); ylabel('λ (Å)');

The output from print -deps plotgreek.eps is attached.  Can you suggest how I might work around?
Ubuntu 16.04   fresh install of octave 4.0.0

​But this is the most important part. If you use "-deps", gnuplot will be using non-cairo
terminal and will not render your fancy fonts correctly.
Try "print -dpdfcairo plotgreek.pdf" ​

​Dmitri.