Error installing control v3.0.0 package on El Capitan

From: sambeedell
Subject: Error installing control v3.0.0 package on El Capitan
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 06:22:22 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone,

I recently installed Octave using the binary installer found on this site:
http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X

I then tried to install the control package using 'pkg install -forge
control' but it gave me the error 'pkg: error running `make' for the control
package.'. I have gone through most of the threads regarding this error but
with no success.

I then tried to use MacPorts to install the control package, I followed the
instructions on the wiki page above with some help from this thread:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24265952/installing-general-package-in-octave-has-error.
I believe I succeeded installing the packages because I can see them in the
folder tree for Octave and MacPorts says it is installed when using the
console.

The problem is that when i run some code in Octave it cannot build as it
doesn't know that I have installed any additional packages. Using 'pkg list'
in Octave it says that no additional packages installed. I feel like I need
to link the two together but I don't know how?

I'll happily explain more if I need to and I hope you can help me out.

Many Thanks,

Sam.