Re: Build Octave Without GUI

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Build Octave Without GUI
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 07:23:00 -0700

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 13:18:22 +0200, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
> Yes, this is really sad, qt grahics toolkit is very good, but it only
> comes with the annoying gui. Is it possible to have a without-gui
> flag?

Our philosophy is that `--without-*` options mean "build Octave without
this supporting thing", maybe `--disable-gui` would be more appropriate.
We used to have that option and it was replaced with `--without-qt` to
be more specific.

The qt graphics toolkit needs to run in a QApplication environment,
which is set up by the octave-gui executable only at this point.

If you run `octave --no-gui`, this runs the octave-gui executable,
enables access to the Qt widget set and graphics toolkit, but doesn't
actually create the GUI. I think this is what you want. But at present,
you do need to at least compile the entire GUI.

--
mike