Re: Problem with PostScript output of surface plot

From: David M. Cook
Subject: Re: Problem with PostScript output of surface plot
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 16:41:01 +0000

FOR MIKE MILLER

Mike,

Apparently, I have inadvertently deleted your most recent response to my inquiry with the subject on this email (Could you perhaps resend it?), but I think I remember its content and would respond with the following two observations:

1.       I have executed the script in my earlier email with all three graphics toolkits (qt, fltk, gnuplot), for all of which the command ‘print –deps2 trial.eps’ produces a PostScript file that exhibits the same inaccurate behavior when I display the output PostScript file in my version of ghostview. (Ghostview, Version 5.0, backed up by ghostscript, Version 9.07, which I believe are the most recent versions.)

Out of curiosity, I tried ‘print –dpng trial.png’, ‘print –djpg trial.jpg’, and ‘print –dpdf trial.pdf’, discovering that all three of those files exhibit the same shadowing, though not as prominently as the eps file.  There is no hint of this shadowing in the Figure window produced directly by OCTAVE.

2.       I am using gnuplot because I want the PostScript files that are output to have the capacity to display Greek letters in the output files, which I am ultimately incorporating in LaTeX source files.  From Section 15.2.8 of the Octave documentation accessible at the URL

https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/v4.0.1/Use-of-the-interpreter-Property.html

I learn that “for on-screen display the interpreter property is honored by all graphics toolkits. However for printing, only the "gnuplot" toolkit renders TeX instructions.”  I tested this feature with all three graphics toolkits.  It appears as if both gnuplot and fltk interpret Greek characters like \alpha but qt does not.

Thanks for your help.  I am not sure where to go from here to correct the PostScript file I can generate.

David

David M. Cook                      VOICE:  920-832-6721

Department of Physics     FAX:    920-832-6962

Lawrence University         Email:  address@hidden

711 E Boldt Way, SPC24

Appleton, WI 54911