Re: Launching Octave from the Terminal?!

From: Thomas D. Dean
Subject: Re: Launching Octave from the Terminal?!
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 10:27:35 -0700

On 04/28/16 00:56, Jefgeni wrote:
Dear Sir or Madam,

I am using Octave on a Linux (Ubuntu) operating system. Since I am new
to Linux my following question might be trivial and possibly
unnecessary. Still, I hope to get an answer from you.

I started using octave on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS where I could launch Octave
directly from the Terminal AND work in the very same Terminal, i.e., the
terminal where I launched Octave was at the same time my workspace! At
the same time also, I had the GUI which I could open if I pleased doing
so. Now, I upgraded Ubuntu 14.04 LTS to the newly released stable
version 16.04 LTS, and now, if I am typing "~$: octave" in the terminal
the GUI opens, i.e., I cannot use the terminal as my workspace
anymore. I have started missing this feature, and I was wondering
whether I could retrieve this feature somehow by a corresponding change
of the settings?

How did you upgrade from 14.04 to 16.04?
How do you start octave?

Try

  octave --no-gui

If that works, you can use an alias to select which octave you want, either with or without the gui.

Tom Dean