Re: Why aren't these convolution results equal to each other?

From: Max Görner
Subject: Re: Why aren't these convolution results equal to each other?
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 13:34:33 +0200

Hi,
thank you for your comprehensive replies.

Both of you are right when you note that the errors are near the end of
floating point precision. They are a bit bigger in the code of our
program but in the end I think can ignore them.

I struggled to blame floating point precision because I suspected that
in the end the function calls would end up in the same codebase. For
example there seems to be no point for me of having two codes to perform 1D
convolution (ok, there is ...). Ending up at the same code, the results
should be identical to the last bit. The examples convn == conv2 for 1D
convolution and Mike's example with m3 == m4 quite nicely demonstrate
what I try to say.

However, since noone seems to find the results worrysome they probably
aren't. I'll go on ignoring the deviations.

Thank you very much for your patience.

Sincerely
Max Görner

--