Re: GDAL package error message at install

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: GDAL package error message at install
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 09:29:25 -0700 (PDT)

Lester Anderson wrote
> Hello,
>
> I need to install GDAL for use with the mapping package, but when I
> try the install I get:
>
>>> pkg install gdal-2.0.2.tar.gz -auto
> package is missing file: COPYING
> error: called from 'verify_directory' in file
> C:\octave\octave-4.0.0\share\octave\4.0.0\m\pkg\private\verify_directory.m
> near line
> 30, column 7
>>>

> Any ideas what the problem is and how it is fixed? I did install
> mapping fine (but removed it) however it disabled raster read/write.

Looking at the error messages you run Octave on Windows, probably an
installer from ftp.gnu.org, right?

If so, GDAL is already installed (to confirm, in Octave do "ls ([OCTAVE_HOME
filesep 'bin' filesep 'libgdal*'])" (w/o outer double quotes) and you should
see something like
libgdal-1.dll

You cannot invoke GDAL directly; it is a so-called "dependency" or IOW a
program or package invoked by Octave itself or octave-forge packages. In
this case the mapping package.

I think it suffices to re-install the mapping package using:

more off;
pkg  install  -verbose  -forge  mapping

(-verbose so you can see what is happening and report any issues if they
arise)

Philip