Re: How to install Octave 4.0.1 on OS X Yosemite

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: How to install Octave 4.0.1 on OS X Yosemite
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 20:25:41 -0400

On Apr 15, 2016, at 11:07 AM, Sunil Shah <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Ben,

Can you post how to build 4.0.1 on the latest Yosemite release using Fink?  I have been using Fink octave packages with altas.

Thanks,

I’ll assume you are using the released sources (you could also build from the developer’s sources).

(1) Goto the sources at https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html. You may be prompted to login. Just select “guest” and skit the username/password.
(2) When a Finder window opens with the tar-balls, locate octave-4.0.1.tar.gz and copy it to the location where you’d like to build octave.
(3) Double click on the archive. It will unpack in to a folder called octave-4.0.1.
(4) Place the files attached to this email in the folder.
(5) To ensure you have all the needed dependencies, open a Terminal window and enter "fink install octave382-atlas-qtmac-dev”
(6) You’ll need to remove Fink’s Octave before trying to run the one you’ll compile (“fink remove octave382-atlas-qtmac-dev”)
(7) My scripts assume you have gcc5 installed, “fink install gcc5”
(8) From the Terminal window cd into octave-4.0.1 and type “chmod 755 ./fink_*.sh”. This marks the two scripts as executable.
(9) From the Terminal window type “./fink_configure_octave_noX11_v1.sh” to configure the octave build. This might take a few minutes. If any errors are encountered, please tell us what the error.
(10) Build Octave by typing “./fink_make_octave.sh”. If any errors occur, please tell us what the error was. My script configured octave's build was configured to install into /sw/local. This is done to ensure that it doesn’t conflict with anything else.
(11) To install octave type “make install” in a Terminal window and from the octave-4.0.1 folder.
(12) If you decide to uninstall, type “make uninstall” for the octave-4.0.1 folder where you build octave.
(13) To run octave, type “/sw/local/bin/octave &” from a Terminal window.

Once all the above is completed, we can help you setup an icon to click on to launch Octave.

Ben