Re: How to install octave-communications in Centos 7?

From: Ariel Arelovich
Subject: Re: How to install octave-communications in Centos 7?
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 07:14:12 -0300

Thanks.

This helped but it wasn't a straight forward deal, so I thought I would put all the steps to make it work.

In Centos 7 at least, installing octave does not come with mkoctfile (as a command prompt program) so, attempting to install a package gave this error:

"pkg: unable to find the mkoctfile command, Octave installation is incomplete"

This was fixed by the installing octave-devel package (yum install octave-devel)

Also for this particular package (the communications package) the signal was required, and that IS in the repository so I also installed it with yum

After that the command pkg install -forge communications

Did not throw any errors.

However the package still cannot be used until the "pkg load communications" command is issued.

This command will need to be issued everytime you start up octave or (which is what I did) added that command to one of the files listed here:

http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/v4.0.1/Startup-Files.html

Since I wanted that package to be always available I used the first options. In Centos 7 that file is located at:

/usr/share/octave/site/m/startup/octaverc

I Thank you again, Mike, for your help and hope this helps someone else.

Regards!

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 8:11 PM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 14:05:09 -0300, Ariel Arelovich wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Where I'm working a couple of users need access to the modmap function that
> is in the octave-communications package. Unfortunately, that packages is
> not listed from the repository (epel-7). I have tried downloading a fedora
> rpm and installing it, but it did not work as the function was still
> missing (so were all other package functions).
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible (and how) to install this package on
> Centos7?

In general, if your distribution does not have a package available, or a
newer version of a package available, you can install it using Octave's
pkg command:

  >> pkg install -forge communications

If you install the package as the root user, it will be installed
globally and be available for all users.

--
mike