Re: Evaluating objects within the Workspace

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Evaluating objects within the Workspace
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 08:44:31 -0700 (PDT)

Christian Merkl wrote
> Hello,
>
> while transferring an old MATLAB code with many nested objects to
> Octave, I ran in some trouble.
> Thus, I wanted to check the objects content during debugging.
> In MATLAB I was able to do so within the Workspace, when the objects'
> accesses were set to public.
>
> In Ocatve, this doesn't seem to be possible yet,or?

There is an experimental Variable Editor (see
https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8656) that can be included if you can build
Octave's development version.
I regularly build Octave development versions (also for Windows) including
this Variable Editor and I use it often, for more or less the same purpose
as you seem to do. But those versions aren't meant for the general public.
The Variable Editor has a few rough edges as well.

Philip