Re: Octave Gui, inaccessible editor with multiple monitors

From: NJank
Subject: Re: Octave Gui, inaccessible editor with multiple monitors
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 19:56:45 -0700 (PDT)

On 29.01.2016 23:20, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
> NJank wrote
>> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 1:38 PM, Mike Miller <
>
>> mtmiller@
>
>> > wrote:

>>> and
>>> undocked

>>> or

>>> Have you tried undocking the editor by dragging its title bar (the
>>> horizontal area labeled "Editor")? I can reproduce your scenario in
>>> Gnome by using the dock/undock icons (except that the editor is moved
>>> back to a primary desktop after I unplug the secondary monitor), but
>>> dragging the editor window by its title bar undocks it and lets the
>>> mouse place it anywhere.
>>>
>>> --
>>> mike
>>>

>> Sorry, first point I left out, I'm running Windows 7.  So this could be
>> unique to how Windows handles things.
>>
>> In Windows, you cannot remove the editor from the main GUI by dragging.
>> think this was brought up in another thread. dragging will change it's
>> position in the main GUI window, but if you drag it outside of the main
>> window it just snaps back after releasing the mouse button. The only way
>> get it outside the main window is with the Undock Widget button.
>
> Looks like your only option is to delete the qt-settings file in your
> %USERPROFILE%\.config directory.
>
> I have a backup of that file from some working window layout with some
> undocked panes & my favorite settings.
>
> Philip

We could add menu entries for un-/docking the widgets apart from the
buttoms in their title bars. Then there is no need to reset the complete
window layout. Sure, a better way would be to detect whether a widget is
placed on a non-existing monitor but I am not sure if there are ways to
detect this.

Torsten

Thought it worth noting for posterity that on Windows 7+, you can just
Alt-Tab to switch to the non-visible window, then use the Windows Key + Left
or Right buttons to cycle through the window snap positions. it'll
eventually wind up on the visible screen at which you can work with it like
normal.

Nick J.