Re: Poor plot performance on Windows

From: tmacchant
Subject: Re: Poor plot performance on Windows
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 13:14:23 -0700 (PDT)

Very familiar with open-source development. Going to offend many by saying
so, but here's the unavoidable truth about what makes a project good or bad:

- Bad: developers only work on what they personally need and/or are
dismissive of others' issues. Those same developers tend not to help others
get started because they only care about their own problems.
- Good: developers work on their own problems + others' problems. Developers
care about the quality and completeness of the project and work towards
"finishing" the project, not just making it "good enough".

On principle alone, the plot window should not take more than a few seconds
to appear, period. This problem has been around for a long time now,
reported by multiple people multiple times. I have used Octave off and on
for years and basically I can't use it more because my main need is also
MATLAB does it faster and more consistently, therefore it is possible.

I would consider paying a small amount to someone to first find the problem,
and then I might be willing to go in with others on paying someone to fix
the problem.

I had been contributing octave for windows until three years ago but I
stopped it from some reasons.
Now a little number of persons contributes for octave for windows (iwe,
JohnD, Philip etc.)
Human resources for octave for windows are quite few. All contributors for
octave
for windows have been took many their time for the developments.

As I said, note that the slowness issue not always happen on every one.
If developers does not reproduce the issue on their PCs, how do they fix the
issue?

As Marco wrote, please show the code which gives slowness in your windows
PC.

I think that that is the first you have to do with.

Open source project cannot be developed without comprehensive feedback from
users.

Tatsuro