Re: Poor plot performance on Windows

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Poor plot performance on Windows
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 14:32:17 -0400

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Jake <address@hidden> wrote:

Yes but the plumber hasn't heard stories about how the toilet screws up for 4 years straight before coming over. Hasn't someone already tried to locate the problem in the past 4 years and failed?

Well, maybe, but for many (most?) people plotting is not a time critical process. Most people ran into the 'first plot takes a long time' issue, but just deal with that and move on. Most Windows users are just that, users, and not developers. So those with the problem are not equipped to fix it, and it doesn't get raised high up the priority list, either by personal need or significant user clamoring, for those without the problem to figure out how to fix it (which again, is troublesome if they aren't running Windows...)

Open source, community development software: people work on stuff as they see a need and have free time they feel worth devoting to the issue. Mike suggested just one more option for incentivizing desired development.

Trust me, I've seen many things (from homes to infrastructure) where things don't get fixed because it isn't critical relative to other issues, even when it's quite well known.

nick j