How to change to a hidden directory in Octave

From: Steven Evans
Subject: How to change to a hidden directory in Octave
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 11:18:37 -0500

Octave Mailing List Support,
I'm a new user of Octave, and am wondering if there's a way to change my current directory to a directory that is hidden. Is this a feature that simply doesn't exist? I'm running Octave on Lubuntu 14.04.3 LTS, and am using a 64-bit machine. Here's what happens whenever I try to navigate to a hidden directory. If I try to find the directory using the drop down list, the directory doesn't show up because it is hidden. So I then type the path of my directory, at the drop-down prompt, using the standard format for hidden directories. In other words, I place a "." at the beginning of the name of the directory that is hidden.

Example:  /home/username/.my_hidden_directory

    However, when I click on the "Go" button, nothing happens.
    If I type the following at the console:

cd /home/username/.my_hidden_directory

    nothing happens.
    So is there a way to do this?  If so, how do I do it?
Thanks so much for taking the time to read my question. I also want to thank you for developing Octave as an alternative to MATLAB.

Sincerely,

Steven Evans
--
http://www.BoolEngine.com