Re: how to find docs

From: Pantxo
Subject: Re: how to find docs
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 07:14:32 -0800 (PST)

Francesco Potortì wrote
> This is a basic question on finding docs.
>
> I was looking for a way to set the values of tic marks, and I remembered
> having done that in the past.  So I looked in the manual for tic, tics,
> tic marks, and found nothing interesting.
>
> So I thought it should have been a function in some package related to
> plotting and looked in
> <http://octave.sourceforge.net/functions_by_package.php>, but found
> nothing: no plot package, and all the (many dozens) string match with
> "plot" were not interesting.
>
> As a last resort, I listed all my installed packages and found the plot
> package.  Doing a pkg describe -verbose plot foowed by help tics did the
> trick.
>
> Two things: why is not the plot package included in
> <http://octave.sourceforge.net/functions_by_package.php> ?
>
> Could I have followed a quicker path for finding out what I was looking
> for, short of resorting to web searching?
>
> --
> Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.621.3058
> ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Mobile: +39.348.8283.107
> via G. Moruzzi 1, I-56124 Pisa         Skype:  wnlabisti
> (entrance 20, 1st floor, room C71)     Web:    http://fly.isti.cnr.it

Hi,

In that very case (and graphics in general) searching among axes property
names would have helped.
In the manual it is here :
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Axes-Properties.html#Axes-Properties
In Octave here is a (convoluted I admit) solution:

props = get (gca ());
fields = fieldnames (props);
##  search for "tick" keyword
idx = ! cellfun (@isempty, strfind  (fields, "tick"));
names = fields (idx)
## then use "doc" function, this currently only works in non-gui mode with
info program
doc ("axes xtick")
## Or more generally
doc ("axes properties")