help documentation of mex files

From: Alois Schloegl
Subject: help documentation of mex files
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 11:34:43 +0100

Is there a recommended way for writing the help documentation of
mex-files? I'm asking because generate_html fails when a mex-file is
included in the index file.

help extracts the documentation from the comments line of m-files, and
it seems there is also a way to add and extract the documentation from
oct-files. In Matlab, it was often done in away that a m-file with the
same name contained the documentation how to use it. Usually, I write
the mex-file in a way that the documentation is displayed when the
function is used without any arguments, (or in case of invalid arguments).

Neither approach (seperate m-file, nor docu in the mex-file) is suitable
to extract the documention with "help funname" or get_help_text
("funname"), and causes generate_html to fail.
A workaround is using funname.m in the index-file for generate_html(..)
and "help funname.m", but that's  ugly:  A user does know when to add
".m" to the function name and when not.

Therefore, I'm wandering what the recommended approach for mex-files
would be ?

Best regards,
  Alois