Re: How to install Octave 4.0.0? No dmg file, source install failed.

From: Vic Norton
Subject: Re: How to install Octave 4.0.0? No dmg file, source install failed.
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 19:33:55 -0500

> On Dec 28, 2015, at 4:04 PM, C W <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Dear Octave list,
>
> I am having a hard time installing Octave 4.0.0 from binary source.  After
> searching around, It looks like I am not alone.
>
> Why there is not a ready-to-go dmg file?  My gcc is having compatibility
> problems.
>
> I am using OS X El Capitan.  Here's the configuration log file
>
> https://gist.github.com/anonymous/3001cc533d971a3bbc30
>
> Can anyone who successfully installed let me know what you did?
>
> Thanks so much!
>
> Mike

Hello Mike,

I’ve successfully installed Octave 4.0.0 on my new iMac (OS X 10.11).

I pretty much followed the script on

http://coolestguidesontheplanet.com/installing-homebrew-on-os-x-el-capitan-10-11-package-manager-for-unix-apps/
After successfully installing Homebrew I was advised (by Sebastian Schops) to
send (in terminal)
   $ brew tap homebrew/science
since Octave is part of the Homebrew science repository.

Before trying to install Octave you should run
   $ brew info octave
to make sure you install what you want with your Octave 4.0.0.

Good luck,

Vic