Re: Out of memory or dimension too large for Octave's index type

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Out of memory or dimension too large for Octave's index type
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 09:53:10 -0800 (PST)

Milad Toutounchian wrote
> Hi there,
>
> My Octave is configured as: i686-w64-mingw32
> My operating system is: Windows 7, 16 GB RAM
>
> I get out of memory error even for this array in Octave:   a = zeros
> (1024*1024*1024*2, 1, 'int8');
>
> What should I do?

What you can do is read up here:

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/out-of-memory-or-dimension-too-large-for-Octave-s-index-type-tp4664823p4665108.html

where several postings report on how much free memory is available, and more
importantly, how big the largest array size can be, for 32-bit Octave on any
32- or 64-bit Windows system.
In one post there I compared the results with Matlab and found that Octave
compares very well with Matlab as far as allowable array sizes go.

The array you want to create is about 2 GiB in size; I think that's about
four to six times bigger than the largest array size you're going to get
with 32-bit Octave.

I'm sorry but you'd have to wait until an Octave binary has been built for
64-bit Windows.
Or cross-build it yourself on Linux - not extremely difficult, most if not
all of it is automated, but for non-programmers it may look too daunting to
even consider.

Philip