Re: netcdf & octave

From: Alexander Barth
Subject: Re: netcdf & octave
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 12:36:59 +0100

On Sat, Dec 5, 2015 at 8:05 PM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, Dec 05, 2015 at 10:04:09 -0800, Clinton Winant wrote:
> I am sure you are both quite tired of this by now, and if you don't answer
> I will totally understand.  I have re-installed  Ubuntu 14.04, then
> installed octave 4.0.0 from ppa.  Then I have
> sudo apt-get install libhdf5-dev
> with the result for instance
>
>  locate libhdf5
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhdf5.a
> etc..
>
> I untarred the netcdf, and configured it with
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/netcdf --with-fPIC

note that the option for configure  is --with-pic (no f and in lower-case). You can check with ./configure --help.
Beware, that you install netcdf in a non-default location. I would use --prefix=/usr/local instead of --prefix=/usr/local/netcdf

[…]
> I am going to fool with this some more, then try fedora, since Dmitri has
> no trouble with that (on the other hand, Alex has no trouble with ubuntu
> 14.04)

I know nothing about netcdf, but is there a reason you're building
netcdf from source instead of "apt-get install libnetcdf-dev"?
I think too that this should be the preferred approach.

Regards,
Alex

--
mike