Re: Complex numbers, format preferences, "j" rather than "i"

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Complex numbers, format preferences, "j" rather than "i"
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 17:55:14 -0500

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 5:49 PM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 22:11:18 +0000, D Greig wrote:
> Is it possible to format the imaginary unit to j rather than i?
> From an electronic background the preference is j.
> The documentation for Octave is good, but it is a preponderance to search
> thru.

Are you asking about the output format of complex numbers? Like so:

  >> 2i
  ans =  0 + 2i
  >> 2j
  ans =  0 + 2i

If so, no the "i" is currently hardcoded in the interpreter.

This could be done with a local modification and rebuild of Octave, or a
custom function (e.g. my_disp) to display complex numbers how you
prefer.

--
mike

Would that be of enough interest to patch the interpreter and have an "USE I OR J FOR DISPLAY" flag?