Re: GUI with Scilab and program in Octave

From: Pantxo
Subject: Re: GUI with Scilab and program in Octave
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 03:48:57 -0800 (PST)

iceman wrote
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a matlab code which involves creation of a GUI. Currently, I do not
> have a version of matlab installed and am porting the code to octave.
>
> I searched through the forums and found using Qt / java to basically
> create the GUI and then calling Octave from the code.
>
> Given my novice experience with Qt/Java/C++, a simpler way to create a GUI
> would be to use scilab and somehow ( if possible ) use scilab to call
> octave. Porting the code to scilab entirely is not an option as octave is
> much more matlab syntax friendly.
>
> Is there a way to do this ? Call octave programs from scilab ?
>
> Thanks,

Hi,

What kind of complexity interms of GUI interaction does your project
involve? Even though they are not documented in the current version of
Octave, the uixxx (type ui<tab> in the command window) family of functions
will let you create basic interactive windows. AFAIK most of those functions
have a Matlab compatible interface.

Pantxo