Re: Chart is not resizing to plot all points (QTHandles)

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Chart is not resizing to plot all points (QTHandles)
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 17:44:10 -0400

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 10:08 AM, Marco Atzeri <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 26/10/2015 08:57, Jonathan Mario Camilleri Borg wrote:
>>
>> I noticed that the chart does not plot all the points.
>>
>> I typed:
>>  >> plot(1,2);
>>  >> a = [1,2;1,3;1,5];
>>  >> plot(a);
>> CLI
>>
>> Using windows 8.1 and Octave 4.0.0
>>
>> Inline images 1
>>

> Jonathan,
> I understand that learning from scratch is the biggest steps,
> but you should consider that the software was born 27 years ago,
> so unlikely has very basic bugs, and more likely you are misunderstanding
> the usage.
>
> You should read the documentation before rising basic questions
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Two_002dDimensional-Plots.html#Two_002dDimensional-Plots
>

> Going back to your test
>
>   >> plot(1,2);
>
> this produce a single point, with X=1 and Y=2
>
>>  >> a = [1,2;1,3;1,5];
>>  >> plot(a);
>
> This produce 3 points   (1,2) , (2,3) and (3,5).
> Why ? Because instead of calling as
>
> plot (X,Y)
>
> with two series of numbers one for X and one for Y axis.
> you are calling with a single argument
>
> plot(Y)
>
> so the X values are the points sequence 1,2,3...
> and the Y are taking by "a" as 2, 3 and 5

Jonathan,

Following up on Marco's comments and some of our offline comments this
weekend, I think you would benefit greatly from following a series of
tutorials that start at the basics and gradually advance to more
difficult tasks. You might fly through the initial stuff, but it seems
many of your problems relate to basic syntax, usage, etc. These should
help with that.

I suggest you start here:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Octave_Programming_Tutorial

I don't know if it's been update to the new graphical interface, but
most of the text-based operations haven't changed.

Following that, there are countless Octave and Matlab tutorials out
there (Octave is compatible enough to be very useful), that should
help with all of these basic problems.

Nick J.