Re: Importing data from excel file.

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Importing data from excel file.
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 12:52:10 -0700 (PDT)

CodeOctave wrote
> Hi,
> I just started using Octave as an alternative to Matlab.
> I have been trying to import data for the last hour or so with no success.
> Can someone clearly explain and show me how it is done?
> Also where the file should be located.
> In addition, I was able to open the excel file through Octave. Is there a
> purpose for this?
>
> This is one example of my attempts.
>>> A = xlsread('Lithium_Cell_#3_July8, 2015', 'Sheet1', 'A1:A2')
> warning: Functions for spreadsheet style I/O (.xls .xlsx .sxc .ods .dbf
> .wk1
> etc.) are provided in the io package. See `http://octave.sf.net/io/'.

(I assume you use Octave-4.0.0 on Windows. Right?)

xlsread is not built-in in core Octave (yet).  But it is available in an
add-on package.
Just enter this command in the Octave terminal (assuming your PC has an
internet connection):

pkg install -forge -auto io

....and after a while Octave should be able to read .xlsx files (OOXML). If
you have MS-Excel installed you can also read .xls files (the old Excel '
97-2003 format) and several other spreadsheet file formats.

(FYI: that command will grab the" io package" (that contains xlsread) from
the Web, install it, and make it load automatically when you start Octave)

Philip