Re: How to disable pdf generation but keep function help

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: How to disable pdf generation but keep function help
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 10:21:43 -0400

On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 00:35:28 -0700, Sebastian Schöps wrote:
> Yes, the reason is that I cannot produce figures due to osmesa. However the
> figures are only needed for the pdf (or html) docs. Those files can be
> rather easily accessed from the internet and thus I am not very concerned
> for now. Nonetheless, the functional help would be nice to have.

Right, that's what I thought. I think Ben has worked around that by
editing the doc/interpreter/*.m files to set the toolkit to gnuplot. You
might also try editing those scripts to get rid of the visible=false
property (the figures will come up on screen while building, but not use
osmesa).

There was some discussion in another thread about whether the plot
figure scripts should enforce only building one way, for quality and
consistency, or fall back to gnuplot allow more users to build the
manual. Or whether to skip building the figures automatically. No
consensus or movement on that yet. But I would like to help resolve it.

> My idea was to disable only the specific pdf/html build targets but it would
> be rather tedious for me to go to all details of doc/module.mk. It would be
> great if someone could give me a hint. I could also try to create a new
> configure switch "--disable-manual" or something similar....

Does "make all DOC_TARGETS=" work? That should clear the list of doc
files that "make all" wants to build.

If osmesa is the problem, then building from a source tarball shouldn't
need --disable-docs because the images are already built and included.
For example, the octave-4.0.0 tarball from ftp.gnu.org [1], or the
continuously built source snapshots on hydra.nixos.org [2].

You could also grab the 108 figures from one of those tarballs and drop
them into your build tree (27 of each file format: eps, pdf, png, txt).

Sorry if I'm being pedantic, but I want to make sure it's the images
that are the problem, not building the manual, which is what it sounds
like. So I don't think a --disable-manual option is the right way to go.

[1]: ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/octave-4.0.0.tar.xz
[2]: http://hydra.nixos.org/job/gnu/octave-default/tarball/latest/download

--
mike