Oct files run in Octave version 3.6.4 or 4.0.0 but not both

From: babelproofreader
Subject: Oct files run in Octave version 3.6.4 or 4.0.0 but not both
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 11:16:20 -0700 (PDT)

I have two versions of Octave installed, version 3.6.4 installed via the
package manager (Linux Mint Debian), and version 4.0.0 compiled from source.
I also have numerous .oct files in a folder pointed to in an .octaverc file.
My problem is that the version 4.0.0 cannot "see" these .oct files and if I
try to call them the whole session crashes unless I recompile them under
4.0.0 with mkoctfile. However, doing this means that the version 3.6.4
cannot "see" them and trying to call them gives an error message

failed to load: liboctinterp.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory

How can I get both versions to recognize my .oct functions without hoving to
recompile them each time?