Re: bio-formats package for octave released

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: bio-formats package for octave released
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 18:55:15 +0200

Carnë Draug wrote:
On 16 September 2015 at 18:52, Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:
Carnë Draug wrote:

On 16 September 2015 at 13:52, Carnë Draug wrote:

On 15 September 2015 at 18:31, Carnë Draug wrote:

Hi everyone

the bio-formats project [1] has released for the first time an Octave
interface [2] to their java library.
<snip>
It also requires that the bioformats library be available on the
system [3] and in the static javaclasspath (the file javaclasspath.txt
on the home directory must have a line with the path for
bioformats.jar).

Easier is to just do:

javaaddpath ('/full/path/to/bioformats.jar')

Optionally put that in your .octaverc

No.  This does not work.  As I mentioned, it requires that the bioformats
library be available in the static javaclasspath.  Your suggestion will
add
it to the dynamic classpath and will not work.  The octave java interface
behaves differently if the classes are in one or the other.

?? It may be my ignorance but this is the first time I hear about that.
AFAIU the classpath only serves to tell Octave (rather: JVM) where to search
for Java methods and make them available (load the class lib containing
them). Dynamic or static shouldn't make any difference - to my knowledge.

Well, it does.  Just try the PKG_ADD script linked to.  It will fail
unless the library is on the static classpath.

This is not by design, but the octave java interface
..<snip>...
works better when things are on the static classpath.

Is that always and unconditionally true?

   There is a bug
report about it [1].

Ah, if you had mentioned this right away in the bio-formats announcement it would have saved a few keystrokes :-) (and maybe again would have drawn attention to this bug)

  I think there are others but I can't find them now.
For example, isa() does not work properly there (again, try the PKG_ADD
script I linked before).

Is it anywhere documented what the exact difference in functional behavior
is between static and dynamic classpath (apart from maybe faster loading) ?

No.  Only in bug reports.  It's not that the difference is on purpose.

... but nevertheless it's worth mentioning where appropriate.

Thanks for the explanation, Carnë

Philip