How to identify a symbolic expression in Octave value list?

From: Shamika Mohanan
Subject: How to identify a symbolic expression in Octave value list?
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 18:52:37 +0530

I have posted this question earlier but I didn't get an answer. So I'm posting the question again.

While using Octave in c++ code, if the octave value list contained a double matrix, I would retrieve it as out(0).matrix_value() (out is the octave_value_list). Is there something similar for symbolic variable/_expression_? How do I identify or retrieve a symbolic _expression_ in Octave value list? I do not want to retrieve it as a string value, as I cannot use the string for further calculations.

Shamika