Re: PKG install under Windows Mingw setup

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: PKG install under Windows Mingw setup
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 18:18:33 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----

********************************************************:
> A standard pkg install fails here due to permission denied on directory
> creation.  I believe this is because creating directories outside of my home
> directories requires me to accept a run as administrator option.

It sounds odd.
Many people install octave-forge packages by standard pkg install.
I myself also have installed octave 4.0.0 and octave-forge packages
to five windows computers (three win 7, two win 8.1) with standard install.

(Without no special treatments.
Install directory is C;\octave\Octave-4.0.0)

Do you log on as a administrator on windows?
If not, can you try to start octave
(If you have already tried, sorry for that)

1. Go to C:\octave\Octave-4.0.0
2. Right click octave.bat
(.bat may not be seen if you change folder properties.
two octave icon displayed: one is octave.bat and the other octave.vbs.
On right click, "Run as administrator" is displayed only for octave.bat )
3. execute "Run as administrator"
4. execute "pkg install -forge instrument-control" without pkg prefix setting

> After attempting a -local install, my prefixes get set differently (and the
> install also fails due to the new prefix directories being something I don't
> have access to)
>
>>> pkg prefix
> Installation prefix:            y:\home\adamro1\octave
> Architecture dependent prefix:  y:\home\adamro1\octave

I have tried
>> pkg install -forge -local instrument-control

was successfully done.

>> pkg prefix

Installation prefix:             C:\Users\Tatsu\octave
Architecture dependent prefix:   C:\Users\Tatsu\octave

Note that C:\Users\Tatsu is home directory of my PC.

Hmmm. Perhaps your setting on windows might cause problems but
I cannot pointed out what is origin for your issue.

Tatsuro