Re: PKG install under Windows Mingw setup

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: PKG install under Windows Mingw setup
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 04:29:07 -0700 (PDT)

User1116 wrote
> Hello,
>
> I am getting several errors like the one below when trying to install the
> instrument-control package:
>
> cp: cannot create regular file
> `C:/users/adamro1/octave/instrument-control-0.2.1/i686-w64-mingw32-api-v50+/gpib.oct':
> Permission denied
>
> Ending with:
>
> couldn't copy files to the installation directory
> error: called from 'copy_files' in file
> C:\Octave\Octave-4.0.0\share\octave\4.0.0\m\pkg\private\copy_files.m near
> line 43, column 7
>
> I'm running on Octave-4.0.0 which I installed from the available
> installer.  I've set the pkg prefix command to use a directory in my user
> account to avoid any UAC issues.  I set both the installation prefix and
> the architecture dependent prefix to the same directory
> (C:/users/adamro1/octave)
> I've also tried editing the home directory but haven't found a combination
> that makes this work.

So you did install Octave yourself (= with required privileges)

In that case (on Windows) you probably do not need to set (should not
specify) any prefix as Octave will install OF packages in its installation
directory (in the share/octave/ subtree).

If you would install OF packages with the "-local" option I think no
prefixes are required either, Octave will (try to) put the packages in your
home directory under the octave subdirectory.

Philip