Re: Installing odepkg in Octave_cli ver. 3.8.0

From: Alexander Hansen
Subject: Re: Installing odepkg in Octave_cli ver. 3.8.0
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 11:04:40 -0700

> On Aug 24, 2015, at 09:47, Samuel Dupree <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Sebastian,
>
> Thank you for responding so quickly. Yes I did install Octave from the .dmg
> file on octave-forge. If I have to install it from a package manager, the
> best option for me is install Octave using Fink. Any particular
> option/options I should select?
>
> Sam Dupree.

I need to post a matrix for these, but here’s a summary.  The Octave-3.8.2
package in Fink has the following options.

octave[BLAS/LAPACK implementation][FLTK graphics toolkit][Qt GUI options]

The BLAS/LAPACK implementations are:

(nothing):      Use Apple’s Accelerate framework. My understanding is that some
problems with this have been fixed as of 10.10.

-ref:           Use an unoptimized BLAS/LAPACK.  The author of the Octave Forge
control package found that this option worked better for that package.

-atlas: Use ATLAS.

The FLTK toolkit options are:

(nothing):      Use native FLTK graphics.

-x11:   Use X11-based FLTK graphics.

The Qt GUI options are:

(nothing):              No Qt GUI

-qtmac:         Build the GUI to use native Qt graphics.

-qtx11:         Build the GUI to use X11 Qt graphics.

So, for example, if you want to use ATLAS and have a native GUI and native
FLTK, you’d use:

fink install octave-atlas-qtmac odepkg-atlas-oct382

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison