Re: Applying leasqr fit to Guassian Data

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Applying leasqr fit to Guassian Data
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 23:39:48 +0200

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 6:08 PM, Dan Paterson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is my first time on this forum, and I am uncertain that this is the
> right place for my question. I would like to say that my knowledge is
> somewhat limited as I am just finishing my undergraduate degree. I'm looking
> for some help on modeling that I need relating to a project I am working on
> for research and not for a class.
>
> I am using octave to take data from a dat file, graph the original data,
> model using a leasqrs fit (for a simple gaussian function), and then graph
> that model on the same graph.  My eventual goal is to be able to take
> multiple dat files from a directory and preform the above operation on all
> of them.  I do not have a Matlab licence so I used octave and a leasqr and
> optimization function that I found from the following link
> http://octave.sourceforge.net/optim/index.html (optim package).  In order to
> run it you must have the following files from optim:
>  _do_user_interaction_
> _lm_svd_
> _plot_cmds_
> cpiv_bard
> leasqr
>From this comment I am suspecting that you did not install the optim
package. Can that be?
Packages in Octave Forge (OF) can be installed from the command line in linux

(debian, ubuntu)
apt-get install octave-optim

or from your octave prompt
pkg install -forge optim

If you are in wiundoes, I know ther eis packages for that OS somewhere.

If I misundertood you and you have isntalled optim, please ignore my comments.