Alternative Matlab/Octave compiler

From: Shmuel Safonov
Subject: Alternative Matlab/Octave compiler
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 15:09:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I've read the old threads

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/octave-to-independent-C-code-td1630298.html
<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/octave-to-independent-C-code-td1630298.html>

and
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/curious-about-octave-compiler-td1635344.html#none
 where a question was posted about possibility of alternative m-files
compilation and with reference to
Stratego Octave Compiler but this product eventually seems to disappear. I
worked by myself on such an alternative compiler with restricted syntax and
accepted some results:
- Matlab syntax subset is supported
- Scalar and cell arrays are supported
- Control constructions (if/while/for/switch) are supported
- 2D and partially 3D matrixes are supported
- try/catch are supported at SEH-supported platform (Windows with MSVC
C-compiler)
What is not supported is:
- Arrays of structures
- Full support of >2D matrixes. Actually the support is absent only at the
level of real-time support library
- Classes
- "end"-index in arrays in deep indexed constructions (like A(end).bb).
- GUI is not supported by I added debug output to plots (at PC).

 I also created  an debugger application for simple viewing of the contents
of variables(matrixes etc.) during EXE-file debugging with some existing
debugger (e.g. MSVC) using the process memory viewing.
The compiler package contains the code generator and the support library.
The support library is very compact, much less than MATLAB MCR e.g. C-code
extension may be added to the application easily. I tried the compilation of
a large project (> 500 files) whose time-critical part was  written in C-MEX
code; the performance is approximately as in MATLAB. I also succeeded to
compile this project as a library for Android and added to it Java GUI
provided by this OS.

*Yet I am not sure if the issue of the alternative compilation is still
relevant?*   Thus at this stage I only published the M-to-NASM/EXE generator
but I am ready to get available M-to-C code generator as well if e.g. it is
important to somebody personally. My binaries, an example and documentation
are  here <http://csafonov.blogspot.co.il/p/tmc.html>  .