Re: installing packages

From: rocketsound
Subject: Re: installing packages
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 05:00:12 -0700 (PDT)

gerald Harrison wrote
> Trying to install symbolic toolbox in win 7 64bit. Installed python
> 3.5.0.4.
>
> Error msg: pkg install -forge symbolic-2.2.2.tar.g2
>
> error: get_forge_pkg: package not found: "symbolic-2.2.2.tar.g2". M
>
> aybe you meant "symbolic?"
>
> error: called from
>
>     get_forge_pkg at line 74 column 9
>
>     get_forge_download at line 26 column 12
>
>     pkg at line 393 column 29. Any help would be appreciated. Gerry
>

> ---

I'd suggest you to follow the step-by-step instructions I posted  here
<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Symbolic-package-for-Octave-tp4670576p4670584.html>

.

Three hints:
1) In Octave there are two possibilities to install a package: From a local
source or via the /pkg/ command and  Octave-Forge
<http://octave.sourceforge.net/index.html>  :

/
/

/
/
>  (e.g. symbolic, or odepkg, .... You find the package names
> here <http://octave.sourceforge.net/packages.php>
> .

The later approach has the advantage that in case an updated version of one
of your installed packages is available you can simply update this package
via the command /pkg upgrade/. In most cases your're better off if you stick
with this approach.
2) Note that you do _not_ need Python 2.7, so stick with your current Python
version and skip this step in my instructions.
3) In case you are using Linux you need to try by yourself if the /pip/
command needs admin privileges (i.e. you need to call sudo pip ...) in order
to successfully install packages like sympy or not (if it needs them, /pip/
will probably issue a warning or an error). I don't know because I only use
Windows.